Friday, February 1, 2013

Confessions of a Bishop's Wife: The Raggedy Man

By: Deborah Pace Rowley



The Bishop had just arrived home. It was later than usual so I knew that he had stopped by a ward member's home. He was just heading back to the bedroom when my 7-year-old nephew Cameron started to laugh hysterically. Suddenly my husband was shaking his back side for all the kids in the house to see and eliciting peals of laughter. Then he turned around so that I could see the gaping hole in the backside of his jeans.

Oh dear! Could this wonderful, endearing raggedy man really be the bishop? The guy who never buys clothes for himself but always sees that his kids and his wife have what they need? He has had those same jeans for probably 7 years. The coat that he wears on cold nights to give blessings and offer counsel is tattered and worn--- a Christmas gift almost 9 years ago.

Of course, he had sat down on a ward member's couch and heard the tell-tale rip. He smiled and said, "Did you hear that?" The ward members only nodded. He admitted it was a little bit embarrassing. I hope they love the bishop as much as we do. I hope that they understand we honor and respect his office and mean no disrespect by his raggedy clothes. It is just that he always puts the needs of others first. I think today I will go to the store.




No comments:

Post a Comment