Sunday, January 27, 2013

Confessions of a Bishop's Wife

By: Deborah Pace Rowley

My husband Lin was just called as a Bishop.  If Bishop's wives need mottos or mission statements, I have decided that mine will be, "Never suppress a generous thought." You know that story, don't you? A young women had received a beautiful piece of silk from her father who had purchased it in his business travels. The thought came to her that she would like to make a tie for President Spencer W. Kimball, who was a member of her ward. So she made the tie.

Then she set about to deliver it. But as she walked up the walk to his door, doubt began to flood her mind. "What am I thinking? Pres. Kimball doesn't need another tie from me. I am so embarrassed. He would never wear this." She quickly turned around and headed back down the walk. But Camilla Kimball had seen her approach the house and hurried out to stop her. Camilla graciously accepted the tie on behalf of the prophet, and she kindly said to this young woman, "My dear, never suppress a generous thought."

I love this story and have decided to make it my motto. I don't consider myself a very good gift-giver. I never seem to bring the perfect jar of peaches at the perfect time. (Remember Elder Eyring's talk?) But I have decided that doesn't matter. I am not comfortable in social settings. I struggle knowing how to reach out to other people. But I have decided to never suppress a generous thought. If I have the thought to write a letter, I will write it. If I have the thought to deliver cinnamon rolls, I will deliver them. I will act on the little thoughts I am given, hoping that God can magnify my small efforts in behalf of our ward.

I had the thought today that I need to write about our adventures in this little blog that I have let lie dormant for a long time. I don't know if anyone will benefit from my experience but since I never want to suppress a generous thought, here it goes. I will title these posts: Confession of a Bishop's wife.

I can't promise that I will post very often but I recently found some more great family home evening lessons that I will be posting as well. These lessons are from a series that I did about the Family Proclamation. I think someone will enjoy these lessons so I will be posting them as well.

Thank you for reading and sharing my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment