Monday, July 23, 2012

Thomas S. Monson- Lesson 6- Prophet of God


Thomas S. Monson- Lesson 6- Prophet of God
By: Deborah Pace Rowley


Story: 
Being by sharing this story that President Monson told in the April 2008 General Conference Priesthood Session. 
“As I have pondered how we might best provide such examples, I have thought of an experience I had some years ago while attending a stake conference. during the general session, I observed a young boy sitting with his family on the front row of the stake center. I was seated on the stand. As the meeting progressed, I began to notice that if I crossed one leg over the other, the young boy would do the same thing. If I revered the motion and crossed the other leg, he would follow suit. I would put my hands in my lap, and he would do the same, . I rested my chin in my hand, and he also did so. Whatever I did, he would imitate my actions. This continued until the time approached for me to address the congregation. I decided to put him to the test. I looked squarely at him, certain I had his attention, and then I wigged my ears. He made a vain attempt to do the same, but I had him. He just couldn’t quite get his ears to wiggle. He turned to his father, who was sitting next t o him, and whispered something to him. He pointed to his ears and then to me. As his father looked in my direction, obviously to see my ears wiggle, I sat solemnly with my arms folded, not moving a muscle. The father glanced back skeptically at his son, who looked slightly defeated. He finally gave me a sheepish grin and shrugged his shoulders. (President Thomas S. Monson, Examples of Righteousness, Ensign May 2008, pg. 66) 
Activity: Mirror Game
Have the family play the mirror game to illustrate this principle of example. Have each family member choose a partner. The partners sit facing each other. One person is the leader. They do an action such as pretending to brush their hair or touch their nose or scratch their ear. At the same time that they do an action, they say a different action. For example, as I pretended to brush my hair, I could say, “Scratch your nose.” The mirror or the person sitting across from he has to do what I say and not what I am dong. change actions as quickly as possible to try to trip up your mirror. When the mirror copies the actions instead of the spoken words, he or she is out and gets a turn at being the leader. Play a few rounds and then ask the family what they learned. This game illustrates the principle that it is easier to follow someone’s actions than to follow someone’s words. This is true in life also. We are more likely to follow someone’s example in their actions more than just their words. The phrase, “Do what I say and not what  do,” is never effective. 
Follow the Prophet: 
The last few lessons we have been learning about President Monson and his life. What things has he taught us to do by his example? Create list as a family of things that President Monson does in his own life that we should try to follow. Hang this list in a prominent place so that family members can look at it frequently. 
Testimony: 
Have each family member share their feelings about the prophet and the blessings that have come to them as they have followed his example and teachings. 
Treat: Stained Glass Windows
Buy prepared sugar cookie dough or make a batch of homemade dough. Roll the dough into ropes 1/4 inch wide. Then shape the ropes into open circle or square-shaped windows, gently sealing the edges where they meet. Lay these shaped pieces of dough on a greased cookie sheet. Parchment paper also works very well. Place finely crushed Life Saver candy pieces in the middle of each window. Bake at 375 for 6 to 8 minutes. The candy pieces will melt and spread out into a thin layer inside the cookie. Allow them to cool before removing from the cookie sheet. This has created a stained glass window. Explain to the family that the best examples in our lives are those that are windows to Jesus Christ. They are humble and keep the focus off themselves so that we can see the love of Jesus Christ through them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment